Saturday 13 March 2010

Training for the 1/2 Marathon...week 3

It's been a tough week, at least that's what certain parts of my body are beginning to tell me! Nonetheless...it's all about raising money for Cancer Research in the UK, so onwards:



Having run 5.4 miles last Saturday I followed this up with a 3.2 on Monday. This was tough 2 days after the Saturday run, so much so I nearly stopped after 2 miles, but I decided not to be such a wimp and reeled off the extra 1.2, lol

I'm beginning to put a few miles in now, and things are getting slightly serious, so on Wednesday I went out and purchased some proper running trainers. These were ever so cheap...not! I also purchased some new running socks. Not that the socks themselves can run without my feet in, but you get the drift :-)

Armed (or should that be footed?) with my new 'hey...I'm-a-runner-too' trainers and socks, on Wednesday I got another 3.2 mile run under my belt. This didn't feel quite so tough as the run on Monday (getting fitter?), but I've developed a rather niggling, and worrying injury.

Each ankle under the bone is getting sore after a run, and this is a new development. Ironically, since the new trainers. I suspect that the new feet I'm wearing may have changed my running gait, and this could be the cause. Nevertheless, it's a worry as I've had issues with my ankles in the past, and as a consequence they've been a weak point on me for many a year. To try and alleviate this I've purchased a couple of supports to prop the ageing body up!

Today (Saturday 13th) I've done a 6 mile run in an hour, and although there was some slight jip from my left ankle at the start that was it. Disappointingly I had to stop a couple of times, albeit for only 30 seconds or so each one, but stopping is
not an option as far as I'm concerned. Having said that it was a 6 mile run at a relatively good pace, so that's the flip-side.

Next week I'll be doing a 4 and 2 mile run in the week, and capping it with a 7 mile run at the weekend.

Watch this space...

1 comment:

  1. I admire your determination but don't be so determined that you do yourself a serious injury! If you do yourself a mischief can I have your trainers? :-D

    ReplyDelete