Monday 8 March 2010

Training for the Bracknell 1/2 Marathon on 9th May

This is all about raising money for cancer research:



I'm sure you now feel strangely drawn to click on the 'Donate' button above :-)


And now, onto the blog:
Sheesh - what a week.

Having only been out running twice so far in preparation for the event on 9th May (longest distance so far being 2.4 miles) I was laid up for 3 days last week with a stinking cold. This was the the last thing I could do with given the tight timelines I'm operating with until the event - 13 miles still seems a heck of a way off, and 8 weeks doesn't feel like lots!

Nonetheless, on Saturday I managed to run 5.4 miles in 75 minutes, without stopping or walking - a not very small achievement given this was only my 3rd run. On reaching the front door returning home it must be noted that I flaked out on the driveway - completely and utterly knackered. Suffice it to say a long hot bath followed and everything was good again.

That is, it was until the evening - by which time I could barely walk! Advice from friends leads me to believe that stretching after running, or rather, the lack of, was the cause of this pain. Apparently not stretching after a run leaves the build-up of lactic acid in the muscles from the run in place, and this led to my discomfort in the evening - a lesson learned now it has to be said :-)

The plan for the coming week is for 2 x 3 mile runs, and then hopefully a 6-7 miler on Saturday.
Next update in one weeks times time...keep watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment